Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:49:07 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        lfloyd@sonic.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbies list [was: partition spanning multiple drives]

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 07:51:55PM -0800, L. Floyd wrote:
> I got Val's post through the freebsd-newbies listserv group... so isn't
> this the correct group to post this question to?

All questions, requests for help, etc still go to freebsd-questions as
usual. This is more of a chat group, a place where newbies can relax and be
with other newbies, without feeling surrounded by experts focusing on our
imperfection. We can talk about things here that are not allowed on
freebsd-questions. We're a bit freer to make the mistakes we need to make in
order to learn, without getting in anyone else's way.

The posts to the lists are not moderated, so they go straight through
whatever their content. It is going to be confusing for a little while
because we're all newbies so we all make mistakes. I get to make the
biggest ones :-)

It is quite common for people to send the wrong kind of post to a mailing
list. Because we're newbies it'll certainly happen here from time to time.
The best thing to do if you see a message that doesn't belong on a list is
to ignore it. There's always someone around whose job it is to sort these
problems out privately.

One thing we're going to see a fair bit is people posting questions,
believing they're doing the right thing by posting here as newbies, not
realising it's primarily a chat group. If someone answers those questions
the situation will snowball. There's nothing wrong with helping someone to
redirect their question to freebsd-questions. Also there's nothing
wrong with the occasional mistake, so we'll always be gentle.

Normally when you get information about a list, and certainly when join a
list, you're given specific instructions as to what it's for and what's
allowable etc. That's where I've fallen down, and I'm sorry that some people
might be getting the wrong impression. I'm trying to get the full
information posted right now, but it'll take time to trickle through.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more