Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 03:52:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, obrien@NUXI.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New drivers and install floppy space

According to Mike Smith:
> > But... we have 1.44 MB on the CD... Since the bios manages to read the
> > file, wouldn't there be a generic way that we could also read something
> > from the CD? So that we could make a floppy which does a call and reads a
> > 5 MB image from the CD, and unpacks the kernel with MFS from that, with
> > full drivers and a nice splash image, too. :-)
> > But, lemme guess: "Sorry... There's no way to fool the BIO to read the CD"
>
> Correct.

*sigh*
Why is it that there seems not to be a single standard which doesn't
have HUGE technical problems in it, which any halfsane guy with half
an education in the subject, would have spotted and fixed (with an too
often obvious solution, at that) right away??

> However Daniel's point about emulating a harddisk is a good one; I
> checked my El Torito docco and discovered I was out of date.
>
> If we're going to go off the beaten track, we might as well do it
> properly.  A 10M harddisk image is going to be a much better idea in
> that case.

Probably... If all BIOSes that handle CDROM booting can handle that...

  /Mikael