Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:00:02 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <gamera@pacbell.net>
To:        Peterhin <hindrich@worldchat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie

Make sure to cc the list with replies, as it helps others who might be
having similar problems, and more people can contribute to helping you.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 04:09:25PM -0500, Peterhin wrote:
> Hello jt
>
> Thanks for the info.

For reference, that was the FreeBSD vs. Linux comparison:
http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

No problem. I tend to feel the same way as the author, and that's about
how I explain the differences to others.

> I read the whole site as you suggested, very good info.
> I do have a further question regarding, first which version I should start
> with, I have done some reading and it looks like 4.10 (Please correct me if I
> am wrong)

Well, you should look at what hardware you need and what's supported,
but for the most part I'd recommend 5.3, as it's the newest RELEASE.
I've found it to be stable, and hardware support is better than in 4.10.
Of course there are other considerations, but for a newbie I'd recommend
the newest release based on better hardware support as a primary
consideration.

> Also I have a Serial ATA hard drive, (Western Digital)  which I can't seem to
> find in either version 4 or 5. equipment list. Do you know if it is
> supported.?

I'm not sure about SATA, but this subject has come up on the list many
times. Check the archives, or perhaps someone else will know about your
specific hardware.

- jt