Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 13:49:20 -0400
From:      User Gp <gp@tower.my.domain>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with ppbus and ||-port zip

> > I am still having trouble with my ||-port zip, though looking better
> > now than before.  My problem is if I try fdisk
> > /dev/sd0 or mount /dev/sd0, the machine just hangs. I waited 15
> > minutes for an error message but got nothing. I was able to get my
> > prompt back with ^C.
>
> Try :
>
> # stty status ^T
> # disklabel -rwB sd0 auto
>
> If the disklabel command hangs, hit ^T and you should see something
> like:
>
> load: 0.47  cmd: disklabel 29432 [vnread] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 20k
>
> It would be very useful to know what the word in [] is in your case.
>
> > controller      ppbus0                       # ppbus stuff
> > controller      vpo0            at ppbus0
> > device          nlpt0           at ppbus0
> > device          ppi0            at ppbus0
> > device          plip0           at ppbus0
> >
> > controller      ppc0    at isa? port 0x278 irq 12 flags 0x1 vector ppcintr
> >

> > #device		lpt0	at isa? port "IO_LPT2" tty irq 12 vector lptintr
> > device		lpt1	at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty irq 7 vector lptintr
>
> I suspect that it would be a Very Bad Idea to have the lpt driver in
> your kernel at the same time as the ppbus code.  Also, are you sure
> about IRQ 12 for the first port?
>
> mike

OK. I commented out lpt1 also. Taking a cue from the BIOS,
which gives me 0x278 irq 5 and 0x378 irq 7 as options for on board ||,
I rewrote ppc0 at the latter. As you probably guessed from my kernel,
I was trying to have two || ports, but I took the other i/o card out
so as not to confuse the issue. Still no results with fdisk or mount.
Disklabel hangs also. Output at ^T:

load: 0.07 cmd disklabel 664 [ppbreq] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 148k

Thanks for your help with this.

Greg