Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:35:28 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the differences?

On 27/01 12:23, R Joseph Wright wrote:

> I cannot agree here.  I've had too many Error Code 1's while building
> ports, and even a few kernel panics.  I think the ports have a long way
> to go.  FreeBSD could use a better packaging system for the installation
> of binaries for those of us who don't want to compile every program we
> put on our systems.  "pkg_add" is adequate, but not nearly as advanced as
> rpm.

Please do not spread such disinformation unless you know what you are
talking about.  In this case you apparently don't.  Your kernel panics
while building are more than likely dodgy hardware.  (Check your memory)

Given a few months more experience, I bet you won't be speaking ill of the
ports system. :-)

best;

gjvc

--
[gjvc]                                                    Powered by SMP FreeBSD
                              In god we're trussed        http://www.freebsd.org