Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:04:28 +0100
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        misc@openbsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inspiron fan problems (was: laptop cpu fan)

+ "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@sgi.com>:

| Nick Slager wrote:
| >
| > The fan kicks in when the system is warm enough, but also stops
| > when things cool down.
| >

| Same here, Inspiron 7500, FreeBSD 4.2. It just works as it is
| supposed to.

We could fill the available bandwidth with "me too" messages;
personally, I have no problems on my 15 month old Inspiron 3500
currently running FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE.

Since this matter just arose, with different models and different OS
releases, while Inspirons have been around for quite a while, I would
hazard the guess from what we learned this far, that the problem only
appears on quite recently acquired machines?  If so, it seems natural
to suspect some firmware change being behind the problems.

- Harald