Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 00:09:50 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        Brad Huntting <huntting@hunkular.glarp.com>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org, huntting@glarp.com, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>, core@kame.net
Subject:   Re: kern/21016: IPV6_JOIN_GROUP doesnt work for mapped IPv4 multicast addresses

>"basic" as in draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-00.txt "Basic Socket
>Interface Extensions for IPv6".  But more specifically, the paragraph
>4 of section 2:
(snip)
>And since section 5.2 of this draft clearly lays out the multicast
>socket options, it would seem that multicast is "basic", and that
>one should be able to use this multicast API on mapped addresses.

>Besides, it makes sense to include multicast.  Otherwise each
>application will need seperate code to deal with v4 and v6 multicast
>addresses.  And this is exactly the problem that mapped v4 addresses
>are supposed to solve.

	My take is that IPv4 mapped address helps porting of very limited set
	of applications ("basic" application in my sense), and the limitation
	is like this:
	- original AF_INET application has no setsockopt(IPPROTO_IP)
		as there's no document which talk about how to map IPPROTO_IP
		socket option and IPPROTO_IPV6 socket option, it is not
		possible to map it.  also, in some cases there's no counterpart
		in IPv6 (like IP_OPTIONS, IP_HDRINCL, IP_RECVOPTS).

>>>Is KAME planning on fixing this anytime soon?
>> I don't think so.  I can't speak for other KAME guys.
>It sounds like this is worth asking the ipng group at any rate.

	please do.

itojun