Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:00:19 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal ipv6_addrs_common

--------------enig4B9430026FBF171FCB60DC28

On 02/06/2012 14:29, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> wrote
>   in <4F304F54.4020802@FreeBSD.org>:
>=20
> do> On 02/06/2012 13:47, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> do> >  It actually depends on the newline
> do>
> do> That's way too fragile, as users are likely to put them all in one =
line
> do> since shell syntax doesn't differentiate (assuming non-wacky values=
 of IFS).
>=20
>  I don't think so.  In this syntax a newline character is a separator
>  distinguished from normal white spaces by read statement.
>=20
> do> > echo "$foo" | while read L; do echo $L; done

Ok, I was looking only at what you wrote in your last message, I forgot
what you're trying to accomplish.

Having thought more about this I still think that using rc.conf
variables for this is too fragile. Rather than introducing a new format
for rc.conf stuff what do you think about putting the new mechanism in
its own file? That way you can still use while/read to easily suck in
the free-form configuration stuff without creating something new for
rc.conf itself.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a default name of
/etc/ifconfig.$if, and the network.subr bits could do something like this=
:

if [ -n "$ifconfig_$IF" ]; then
	<do stuff>
elif [ -s "/etc/ifconfig.$IF" ]; then
	while read line ...
fi

You can add refinements such as if ifconfig_$IF contains a path name
that you use that file instead.

Doug

--=20

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.