Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:10:59 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@inspiral.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: locale compatibility on -STABLE & -CURRENT

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:33:47AM +0200, Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@inspiral.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Are locale definitions portable between stable and current systems ?
> On a -CURRENT system I see files like
> /usr/src/share/colldef/et_EE.ISO8859-15.src,
> /usr/src/share/monetdef/et_EE.ISO8859-15.src, etc.
>
> If and how can I port those to -STABLE ?

Probably all but short month names will work, but I haven't tried.
But beware, collation definition is not backward compatible with
ascii, so you'll probably run into problems with any script which
uses nonportable way to indicate character range. Most probably you
find yourself stuck with some port and the only cure is to set your
LANG to C while doing such tasks or wait until world ends (because
it'll take long before all scripts will be correct).
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee