Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:35:31 +1300
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: e'net card problems + e'net card autoconfig

Hi Josh -

> I looked in the source file for the ste driver, and I didn't find the

Thanks for the detective work on the source code

> The install uses the GENERIC kernel which comes with drivers for a lot
> of different ethernet cards.  Provided you are still running GENERIC,
> the kernel should pick up the card on boot.

In fact I've rebuilt the kernel to support firewalling but I think that by
following your description that if i had to change either of the cards I could
do it. I was just a bit concerned from what you were saying that with a non-
GENERIC kernel the range of card support is reduced ? Is it in fact reduced to
those cards that were in place at the time the kernel was rebuilt ? If so I
might be stuffed if the new nic required a new driver ?

ITRW the two nics are pretty generic (one's a D-LINK DFE 550TX and the other is
something similarly mainstream) and when I buy my 'standby' nic I will make
efforts to buy the same so that the issue of different drivers doesn't arise.
However if you or anyone else has any thoughts on what the impact of having a
non-GENERIC kernel is when you need to change nics I would be interested to
hear.

> The configuration of the
> card is only done automatically in the install if you are using DHCP,

I'm not using DHCP but as I say I'm quite happy with the manual instructions
you have provided, thanks.

> Hope this helps.

It did, thanks.

richard shea.