Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 02:08:22 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <vkushnir@Alfacom.net>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Active support of Russian language

Hello,
First a couple of questions:
What newsreader/irc are you using? If they run in xterm, did you check
that _it_ runs with an appropriate font? (Sorry for this last, but
sometimes stupid mistakes happen :-)
And a suggestion. Have you tried wmcyrx instead of Xkb or Xrus? The
problem with Xkb is that not all of the applications are "well
behaved". Besides, wmcyrx has the useful feature of supporting
several different Cyrillic encodings (actually, I type with a slightly
patched version in koi8-r/cp1251/alt Russian and in cp866 Ukrainean).

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> More is desired,though. I need to be able to do following: read and
> WRITE USENET messages in Russian,use irc in Russian and so on.
> What I see so far in briefly is following: As soon as I try to
> switch to Russian(Caps Lock as described) I get diacritic signs
> in some circles weel-konwn under term krakoziabras form the upper
> half of default ascii table not Russian fonts that are expected
> on their places.Xrus does not work either actually it does not
> even show up on the screen let alone produce any expected actions.
> As far as I have seen there is substantial amount of Russian users
> so quick and down to the earth help is requested chiefly from them.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ariel
>
> PS Additional questions that should clear the actual situation for
> potential helpers are surely welcome.

Regards,
Vladimir