Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:35:22 +0100
From:      Jonathan Heaney <jonathan.heaney@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp demand dialling broke after 4.5 -> 4.6 upgrade

Hi,

After re-installing fbsd 4.5 on Saturday after a hard drive failure
(Fujitsu), I was pretty annoyed ;-) to find 4.6 had been released when I
got to work on Monday.  Anyway I got the iso's and went to upgrade when
I got home.  I've tried both an upgrade over 4.5 and a fresh install,
and each time, as the subject says, ppp demand dialling stops working
with 4.6 using the exact same config as I have with 4.4 then 4.5 (clean
install).

Has anything changed?

The FreeBSD box is set up as a straightforward gateway/firewall, using
howtos etc. on the fbsd website, and I am setting it up in stages (1.
get ppp working form the fbsd box, 2. get natd working, 3. recompile
kernel and enable ipfw).  It's the first stage 4.6 is having trouble
with.  Here are therelevant ppp config files I'm using -

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf :-

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 #set log +tcp/ip

 # Ensure that "device" references the correct serial port
 # for your modem. (cuaa0 = COM1, cuaa1 = COM2)
 #
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 115200
 disable pred1
 deny pred1
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \OK-AT-OK
ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set redial 5 5
 # set timeout 180            # 3 minute idle timer (the default)
 enable dns                # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

interactive:
 set phone xxxxxx
 set login
 set authname xxxxxx
 set authkey xxxxxx
 set timeout 300
 set openmode active
 accept chap
 allow users jon

demand:
 set phone xxxxxx
 set login
 set authname xxxxxx
 set authkey xxxxxx
 set timeout 300
 set openmode active
 accept chap
 set ifaddr 127.1.1.1/0 127.2.2.2/0 255.255.255.0
 add 0 0 127.2.2.2
 allow users jon

and here's /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup :-

demand:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

MYADDR:
 add 0 0 HISADDR

the relevant section of /etc/rc.conf looks like this :-

ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="auto"
ppp_nat="NO"
ppp_profile="demand"

All I have to do then (on 4.4 / 4.5 at least) is create a starter
/etc/resolv.conf with dns servers from my ISP and it dials OK e.g. when
I ping an internet ftp site.  The exact same process does not work with
4.6, when I ping as before it just sits there, does not dial, but also
does not give me the 'could not resolve' error I get if I don't create a
starter resolv.conf file.  Essentially my configuration was set up on
fbsd 4.4, then carried over to 4.5, and now it's broken with 4.6.

I don't profess to be an expert but I can't see anything obviously
wrong, I've looked at the 4.6 release notes, and checked the mailing
list archives for mention of this, but can't find anything.  Help would
be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonathan