Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 10:49:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Tim Parkinson <tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do people on the list use FreeBSD for?

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Nik Clayton wrote:

> and probably other bits and pieces.

All of which simply says that FreeBSD can do just about anything that any
other unix can (within the limits of the PC hardware and availability of
commercial software.)

> It's not used as much at my current job because we're pretty much a Solaris
> shop. I do use it as my desktop workstation though.

Even then, PC unix can be very cost-effective for certain things. And
FreeBSD or Linux are much less expensive than Solaris x86. :-)

> and I plan on experimenting with Amancio's suggestions for how to set up
> a FreeBSD box+modem+soundcard as an answerphone.

I tried this out on my Mac. It was kind of cool to do, but a standard
answering machine is a better solution. :-)

--

Stuart Krivis    stuart@krivis.com