Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2013 08:00:00 GMT
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/184954: Installation checks prevent multiple python ports being installed

The following reply was made to PR ports/184954; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To: Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@Shaneware.biz>, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Cc: freebsd-python@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/184954: Installation checks prevent multiple python ports
 being installed
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 08:54:01 +0100

 --KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

 On, Wed Dec 18, 2013, Shane Ambler wrote:

 [...]
 > Recent changes cause py-setuptools to be installed for the python
 > version being used. The installation checks prevent py-setuptools being
 > installed for more than one python version at a time.
 >

 > eg py27-setuptools prevents py32-setuptools being installed.
 >
 > I think the previous behaviour saw py27-setuptools and it was used
 > during install. Now I can't install a port set to use python32 or
 > python33 because setuptools is installed for python27.
 >
 > I've created duplicate ports to be able to install py-numpy for
 > multiple python versions but I don't want to start duplicating every
 > python port to support multiple python versions.

 This is a long-standing issue that the Python team is aware of. In fact,
 it does not only have an impact on python ports, but on all ports. The
 root cause is pkg_add, which uses the PKGORIGIN to detect, whether the
 port is installed. Since py32-setuptools and py27-setuptools both share
 the same PKGORIGIN (devel/py-setuptools), pkg_add fails.

 pkg shares the same problem by checking for the PKGORIGIN record, so a
 switch to pkg would not help you either.

 Right now there is no solution at hand for that problem, but we are
 working on it.

 --KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

 --KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--