Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 02:13:00 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Stephen Cass" <s.cass@ieee.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IEEE Journalist looking for facts about Microsoft use of BSD code

Hi Stephen,

  A lot of the rumoring about BSD/Microsoft code being the
same code because they have the same bugs is due to the
fact that early Windows 95 was suceptable to LAND attacks and
also illegally-sized ping packets.  The problem was traced to
input buffers not being validated properly.  Since most other systems
were also suceptable it was a faily clear indication that this
bug/hole was carried forward from the very earliest IP stacks.

  However, if you want something authoratative, allegedly the
winsock.h header file for Windows contains the following:

/* WINSOCK.H--definitions to be used with the WINSOCK.DLL
 * Copyright 1993 - 1998 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
 *
 * This header file corresponds to version 1.1 of the Windows Sockets
specification.
 *
 * This file includes parts which are Copyright (c) 1982-1986 Regents
 * of the University of California.  All rights reserved.  The
 * Berkeley Software License Agreement specifies the terms and
 * conditions for redistribution.
 */

Unfortunately I've never seen the file myself, perhaps someone
with a Windows development environment would have it and confirm
this.  I'd assume that Microsoft uses this file when they built
winsock.dll and wsock32.dll for Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.51
Heh heh heh. :-)

I'd guess also that you will have to find someone with an _old_
Windows development environment, no doubt this was struck out
in newer files.  Microsoft C version 2.0-4.0 will probably do
the trick.

If you get completely stuck I think I do have a copy of Microsoft
C for OS/2 that I could load up and start digging though.  This
would, of course, be for Microsoft OS/2 1.3

As far as use of BSD in _new_ Microsoft Operating System code,
I doubt you could find a coorespondence even if you had the
sources side-by-side.  Microsoft has had a separate code base
for their networking stack for too long and while they probably
used the BSD stack practically unaltered for Windows sockets 1.0
by now the code has had enormous chance to diverge.