Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:41:22 -0800
From:      Eric Von Dollen <evondollen@earthlink.net>
To:        "'Ken McKittrick'" <agent47@mail.baldcom.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: CDrom needs to be master on 2nd IDE channel

Ken,

Thank you very much for your response.  And I apologize that I am not a BIOS expert.  Could
you give me a little more detail on how to configure the second IDE channel for CDROM?

My system is running Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG, Micron BIOS Version 2.2.
The BIOS setup menu has the following options:

STANDARD CMOS SETUP				INTEGRATE PERIPHERALS
BIOS FEATURES SETUP				SUPERVISOR PASSWORD
CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP				USER PASSWORD
POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP			IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION
PNP/PCI CONFIGURATION				SAVE & EXIT SETUP
LOAD BIOS DEFAULTS					EXIT WITHOUT SAVING
LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS

The STANDARD CMOS SETUP OPTION appears to define the necessary information with
defaults at the section:

HARD DISKS		TYPE	SIZE	CYLS	HEAD	PRCOMP	LANZ	SECTOR	MODE
PRIMARY MASTER	AUTO	0	0	0	0	0	0	0		AUTO
PRIMARY SLAVE	AUTO	0	0	0	0	0	0	0		AUTO
SECONDARY MASTER	AUTO	0	0	0	0	0	0	0		AUTO
SECONDARY SLAVE	AUTO	0	0	0	0	0	0	0		AUTO

Each of the hard disk options has three alternatives for type: AUTO, USER, NONE.

To force the CD to act as secondary master I changed the type for the PRIMARY SLAVE and SECONDARY
SLAVE to NONE.  I could still boot Windows 98 and NT successfully but the "CDROM not found" message
still occurs when attempting to install FreeBSD even though I have successfully booted from CDROM.

The BIOS options appear to be a large state machine and before I run out all the alternatives I thought
I would ask you for more hints.  Can you recommend any?  If you would prefer to recommend some
BIOS technical references for me to study so that your time is not overutilized, I am happy to pursue them.

Thank you again,
Eric Von Dollen