Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:38:46 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpd "Synchronization Lost" Errors

In the last episode (Nov 09), Drew Tomlinson said:
> From: Dan Nelson [mailto:dnelson@emsphone.com]
> > What's more worrying is the fact that ntp is having to jump time by
> > over .1 seconds every few hours.  Depending on exactly how recently
> > you installed FreeBSD, ntp might still be trying to calculate your
> > clock's drift.  What does "ntpdc -c kerninfo" print?
>
> I'm a newbie and just found out about ntp in Greg's book.  So I
> attempted to set it up and it's been running for only a few days.
>
> I'm betting this is a problem, huh?
>
> 101 Blacksheep# ntpdc -c kerninfo
> ntpdc: read: Connection refused

That means that ntp isn't running..

> So I assume this means that the NTP server I am pointing isn't
> accepting my connection?  Here is my ntp.conf:
>
> 106 Blacksheep# cat ntp.conf
> server          165.227.1.1     prefer  #ns.scruz.net (Santa Cruz, CA)
> server          63.192.96.2             #ntp1.mainecoon.com (Quincy, CA)
> server          63.192.96.3             #ntp2.mainecoon.com (Quincy, CA)
> server          132.239.254.49          #ntp.ucsd.edu (San Diego, CA)
>
> driftfile       /etc/ntp.drift
>
> broadcast       192.168.0.255
>
> So then I try an update manually using ntpdate and it seems to work:
>
> 108 Blacksheep# ntpdate ns.scruz.net
>  9 Nov 08:11:09 ntpdate[1438]: step time server 165.227.1.1 offset -32.772205 sec

Yow. an offset of 32 seconds is a whole lot.  What is the contents of
/etc/ntp.drift?  If it's over 500 or less than -500, ntpd will have a
hard time keeping your clock in synch because it drifts too fast.

I'd set up a cron job that fires every hour and runs
"cat /etc/ntp.drift >> /var/log/ntp.drift", and check that log after a
day or so so see what the trend is.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com