Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:40:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dan@ice.nodomain
Subject:   Re: 5.1 harware

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003, pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:

> I have been unable to install 5.1, 5 or 4.8 releases on MSI 875P-NEO-FIS2R
> motherboard.
> I am led to believe, from reading the documentation, that the Intel ICH5R
> chipset and the Intel 82547EI (CSA interface) for Lan are not supported.
> They are rather recent...
> Is there a foreseeable future when these will be integrated?

I posted a similar question to freebsd-stable a couple of weeks ago:

> Does anyone know if support for the Intel 875P/ICH5 motherboard chipset
> has yet made it into the stable branch?  (Is release 4.9 likely to have
> it?)  I am mainly interested in the IDE and "native" serial ATA devices.
> There is also a new Intel ethernet controller chip, 82547EI, that is
> designed to interface directly with the 875P chip.  The currently
> supported chip list only goes up to the 82546.

Here are some of the responses.

On Thu Jul 31, Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org> wrote:

> I'm tracking RELENG_5_1 at home on my desktop machine, which has an Abit
> IC7-G for the motherboard.  The relevant bit here is that I upgraded that
> machine from RELENG_4 after I upgraded the hardware.  It's been almost 2
> months now, so my memory is hazy, but I think if you're going to run 4-S
> on it, you have to run ACPI.  I can tell you that 5.1-R right off the CD
> was just fine with it (I did a binary upgrade then CVSup'd the (very few)
> changes to avoid issues like back when things went from a.out to ELF).

I think that by his reference to ACPI (an acronym for Advanced Configuration
and Power Management Interface; see www.acpi.info) he meant that I would
have to use the bootstrap BIOS to configure the xATA ports to run in
"legacy" mode.

Later on Thu Jul 31, Craig Boston <craig@meoqu.gank.org> responded:

> Saw your post on -stable about this, and decided to take a look since I'm
> about to get my hands on a similar (82801DB) motherboard.
>
> If it's the USB 2.0 controller that's isn't being detected, shouldn't ehci by
> patched instead of uhci...?  You may want to give the attached, completely
> untested, patch a try.  I.e. it compiles on my box, but I don't have any
> hardware to actually test it on yet.  Might theoretically work depending on
> how closely Intel followed the EHCI spec.  Note that the patch includes
> entries for both the DB and EB variants of the chip.
>
> I'm not sure why the code to pick up generic EHCI devices didn't find it
> though.

and included some c source patches.  (Check the freebsd-stable archives
if you want to find them.  The message id is
<200307312340.45844.craig@meoqu.gank.org>.)

Then on Mon Aug 4, David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> With Intel's 875PBZLK board, I've had no trouble at all with 5.1-R
> or -CURRENT.  The GigE, PATA, SATA, and USB work for certain,
> although the SATA drives are detected as ATA-133.  But Gigabyte
> uses different chips for some of these components, and as you
> point out, there are problems with these.  The point is that
> there's nothing inherently incompatible about the i875 chipset
> itself.  Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try 4.X on this
> box yet, so I can't say whether there are any issues there...

These are all the responses I have have collected so far.  If anyone
reading this has anything to contribute, I would very much like to see it.
My new motherboard, a Gigabyte 8KNXP, is sheduled for delivery in about a
week.  Like the MSI 875P-NEO-FIS2R, it uses the Intel 875P/ICH5R support
chipset with an Intel 82547EI CSA ethernet controller chip.

The 8KNXP also has an ITE GigaRAID IT8212 chip controlling two PATA ports
and a Silicon Image SIL3112 chip controlling two SATA ports apparently
hanging off the PCI bus.  The firewire ports are driven by a TSB43AB23
chip and the on-board audio uses a Realtek ALC655 CODEC.  None of these
parts are listed as supported by the FreeBSD 4.8 or 5.1 releases.
In anyone knows where I could get drivers for these devices or if they
are likely to be supported by the FreeBSD 4.9 or 5.2 releases, please
let me know.

Thanks,
Dan Strick
strick@covad.net