Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 15:41:55 -0500
From:      Erik de Zeeuw <erik@usishealth.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAKEDEV warning with sysinstall ?

I installed FreeBSD 5.0-20000506-CURRENT on an AMD K6-2, 64Mb, 4Gb, and
when I first launch /stand/sysinstall after the system has start, the
following message appears :

... /kernel: WARNING: run /dev/MAKEDEV before 2000-06-01 to get rid of
block devices

I searched the list archives and find some informations about this, but
nothing that helps me understand why I get this message.

The only time it happens is when I use sysinstall for the first time
after the PC has start. If I'm using sysinstall again without prior
reboot, there's no such message. But if I reboot and use sysinstall
again, the message shows up again.

I ran MAKEDEV all, but the message still appear. The messages I found
about this on the archives says to do a 'ls -l /dev | grep ^b', and
to remake all devices listed, but there's no device listed when I'm
doing the 'ls -l /dev | grep ^b'.

Any idea about what could cause this message to come up ?

Thanks,
Erik de Zeeuw