Date:      8 Feb 1999 14:53:03 +1100
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
To:        Stephen Rose <rose@dml.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Silo overflow messages with 3.0 Release

Try the following patch. Look for a line in /sys/i386/isa/sio.c that
looks like:

		com->fifo_image = t->c_ospeed <= 4800
				? FIFO_ENABLE : FIFO_ENABLE | FIFO_RX_HIGH;

Replace FIFO_RX_HIGH with FIFO_RX_MEDH, and if that doesn't work try
FIFO_RX_MEDL instead.

This patch changes the RX FIFO trigger point from 12 down to 8 (or 4).
With it set to 12 the system only has 4 character periods to respond
to the IRQ. Normally a Pentium or higher should be able to handle
this, however things like SMP or non-DMA mode for your harddisk may
hold off interrupts for longer than normal. With it set to 8 there is
twice as long to process the IRQ before an overflow occurs.

Actually the sio driver should really detect silo overflows and drop
the FIFO level a notch automatically. Hmm, if I have some free time
I might look into it.

The bad side is that this patch increases the IRQ load on the box.
Although for a Pentium the serial processing load is a fraction of
a percent so double that is still negligable.

Cheers.

In nlc.lists.freebsd-current you wrote:
> I didn't get a response from the questions list, so let's try here.

> I've been getting my server ready to switch from FreeBSD 2.2.2 to 3.0
> Release.  Everything was going well until I tried to bring my kernel ppp
> link up to my isp.  I get many silo overflow messages when there's any
> activity on the line.  The connection doesn't seem very responsive either.
> This machine is a dual pentium pro.  I've built an smp kernel which seems
> to work fine otherwise.  I've arranged to build the new system on another
> disk so I can easily switch between the 2.2.2 system and the 3.0 system.
> Everything works fine with 2.2.2.  I've seen many messages in the archive
> about silo overflows, but there doesn't seem to be a real solution in
> them.  Is this ever likely to work or should I just wait for 3.1?

> Steve Rose

        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 041-822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NHJ NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |