Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:08:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Chan Fook Sheng <chen68@hotmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD parallel computing

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Chan Fook Sheng wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to connect a few FreeBSD together to make a
> > supercomputer?
>
> Yes, clustering has been done by people at Sarnoff Corp. (Sorry, me and
> names are horrible, and I just spoke to the guy last week!)  The tools to
> do it are not publicy accessible ye, although we're working on that.

It is possible as well to build Beowulf-style message passing clusters for
parallel processing with FreeBSD by simply installing MPICH or PVM after
FreeBSD has been installed.

For MPICH, see http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/index.html

For PVM, see http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html

I use MPICH on a FreeBSD cluster; I haven't tried PVM on FreeBSD, but it
ought to work.

See also http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/ClusterCookbook/ for more
info and links regarding Beowulf-style clusters.

Guy Helmer

Guy Helmer, Graduate Student, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer