Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:55:32 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Trans Vans <vans@static.bigfoot.com>
Subject:   Re: 417Gigs in 24hrs

>	Walnut Creek CDRom (ftp.cdrom.com) has set up a new record.
>417Gigs per 24 hours.  You can find it at:
>http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/980730/crl_networ_1.html
>
>	Now check my math:
>
>    417G / 24hr = 17.375G / 1hr
>    17.35G / 60 = 0.289G / 1 minute = (289MB / minute)
> 289MB / minute = 4.81MB / sec
>
>	Now this is assuming that the information is at a steady flow at
>this rate all day long, plus the network conditions have to be near
>perfect during this 24 period.  Do these numbers make sense or are they a
>bit optimistic ? (It could be that I suck at math =:)
>
>	On a happier note, the previous "campion" was M$ with 350G / per
>day.  The only difference was that they used 40 servers to achieve this,
>while Walnut Creek used only one =:)

   The actual data rate out the fast ether averaged around 6.5MB/sec,
peaking around 8.2MB/sec throughout the day. This is close enough to the
limit of 100Mbps fast ethernet that we are looking into gigabit ethernet.
If we can work out something with CRL and Cisco regarding this, you'll
see another press release... :-)

-DG

David Greenman