Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2001 00:54:25 +0100
From:      Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems

"Louis A. Mamakos" wrote:

> I'm not gonna argue that more stuff ought to be put on the root file
> system, but having more breathing room also fixes the "running out of
> space when installing a new kernel due to softupdates" problem.  Or
> having space more an extra backup kernel (and modules) without worrying
> how close to full you are.

My point is if we all get used to seeing huge amounts of free space in /, then
we'll all be tempted to fill it up sooner or later with necessary or unnecessary
stuff. And then we can go into another cycle of / size expansion, and so on. Right
now my 4.4-R / uses 30M of space with a spare kernel image included, and I am not
feeling comfortable seeing it enlarged by an order of magnitude in the next
release. Those guys doing heavy development and needing multiple kernel/module
trees will anyhow make a custom partitioning, and for all other people a compact
sized / should be enough. Of course with /tmp extracted :)

Marko