Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:39:04 +0200
From:      Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Mike Meyer: Just one question again

Hi Mike,

thanks again for your answer. But - as expected - I have again a
question concerning the FreeBSD installation with NFS and master and
slave concept. You wrote that before building and installing a new
kernel on both systems, I have to ensure that on both systems the same
world is installed.

Now my master and my slave have different "worlds" installed. Should I
do first a 'make installworld' on the slave system (with master:/usr/src
and master/usr/obj mounted), then 'mergemastering' and then running
'make buildkernel' on the master system and 'make installkernel' on both
systems? Or what did you mean?

The way I did it until now (for a standalone system) was:
'make buildworld'
'make buildkernel KERNCONF=ALPHA'
'make installkernel KERNCONF=ALPHA'
'reboot'
'make installworld'
'mergemaster'

Perhaps I unterstand the things not in the right way, but: The building
of the kernel or the world does not influence the actual running kernel
or system, does it?

Have a nice day,
Thomas