Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 17:04:22 -0700
From:      Patrick Burm <patb@commlitho.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   boot loader suddenly appears

I had searched the archives until I had to finally give up.

I installed 4.0 fresh using the entire disk but not using
the "dangerously dedicated" option. I now wish I had.

For some reason, today, after making some changes to rc.conf,
powering down and moving the server, it decides to give me
that boot manager that looks like this:

 >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:da(0,a)/boot/loader
boot:

And then just sits there. I can hit enter and get it to boot,
but it concerns me that a power outage (longer than my UPS can handle)
will make the thing sit there waiting for someone to push enter.

I have tried fdisk /mbr from a dos disk, I have tried using the
fdisk from /stand/sysinstall and marking the partition active and
telling it a standard MBR and writing.

Nothing will make it go away.

Any ideas. Or at least can I give that boot manager a directive to
just boot automatically somehow?

Help.