Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:10:16 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hmm!!

Well, this is wierd.  It looks like there might be some gremlin somewhere..

Figure this one:

ashburton# echo $SHELL
/usr/local/bin/tcsh

ashburton# sysctl -n kern.bootfile
/kernel

ashburton# csh
ashburton# sysctl -n kern.bootfile
/kernel

ashburton# sh
# sysctl -n kern.bootfile
Segmentation fault - core dumped

# csh
ashburton# sysctl -n kern.bootfile
/kernel

Some VM, pmap or fork/exec interaction perhaps?

This is the same problem that showed up when I compiled in softupdates and
went away when it was compiled out.  With some other drivers present now
it has come back again so perhaps it's a kernel size issue somehow?  (I've
had them before - see rev 1.21 in kern_fork.c back in 1996 that was kernel
size related)

Cheers,
-Peter