Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:15:47 -0500
From:      Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hangs at 1:45am

About 3 times now in just over a couple months, my FreeBSD-4.3-RELEASE
system hangs completely.  Each time it was in the middle of the night,
somewhere between midnight and 3am.

Last night it was at about 1:45am.  There is no cron or at jobs set to run
at this time.  In fact, this thing is pretty much out of the box.  We just
set the network settings, and configured BIND.

When I looked at it, there were a few messages on the console about named
dropping some zero source packets (normal, IMHO) - and that was it.  The
numlock/capslock keys didn't work, CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't work, I had to cycle
power.

How can I start troubleshooting this?  In BSD/OS there's a sysctl parameter
to turn on the deadman timer, to force a coredump if the clock isn't reset
every x ticks.  Is there something similar in FreeBSD?  sysctl -a didn't
seem to indicate it.

Thanks,
Adam