Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:36:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Monceaux <Kevin@RawFedDogs.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions E-Mail List <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: turn on beastie beside the 'Welcome to FreeBSD' boot optionsmenu

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> How would you like this one?
>
> http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/vloader/screenshot5.png
>
> (It's work in progress.  See the latest FreeBSD Quarterly Status
> Report.)

When I recently came across info on the graphical boot loader project I
secretly hoped that either the project would fail, or that at least the
graphical boot loader would be optional.  The text based boot loader and
text based installer are to of the things I really like about FreeBSD.
But, after seeing the above screenshot I think I might be able to get used
to the boot loader pictured in that screenshot.  The screenshot I came
across with I first discovered the project recently:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/vloader/screenshot.png

looks nice, but is just a bit too modern for my tastes.  I know, I'm old
fashioned.  I still prefer programs with text based user interfaces.  I'm
typing this e-mail in Alpine and my editor of choice is vim.  Oh, and I
work as an operator in an IBM mainframe shop where most of our "online"
applications are still 3270 text terminal based.  Now days we use terminal
emulator software on PCs instead of actual 3179 terminals, but the apps
are still text based, and still work fine on the few 3179 terminals we
have left.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org