Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:12:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Utz <utz@serv.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why is ghostscript so slow now? did i miss a setting?

On Sat, 28 March 1998 at 13:13:37 -0800, John Utz wrote:
> hi;
>
> vital stats:
>
> 2.2.6-980323-BETA
>
> fake pentium amd p5 kr-100 32 meg o ram
>
> canon bj200ex printer
>
> gs 2.6.2 or gs 5.1.0
>
> this setup was perfectly tolerable with ghostscript and apsfilter in 2.2.5
>
> now it takes an hour to print two pages!
>
> it seems like gs has become de-niced down to turtle speed, or something
>

> the print speed is normal if i dont use ghostscript or apsfilter. and if i
> do all the apsfilter stuff by hand it is still insanely slow, so the
> problem appears to be a gs/lpd hose up?

What are you printing?  I don't know the bj200ex (bubble jet?), but if
you're printing complicated pictures, it could be that the printer is
taking that long to accept all the data you're sending it.  That's
particularly true for LaserJet 1 emulation.

A couple of things to try:

1.  Convert to memory (i.e. just make an image for the printer) and
    see how long that takes.

2.  Convert a simple printed text.

Greg