Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:21:21 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest033@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        "Pranav A. Desai" <pdesai1@cs.uh.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to create another account with root privileges ?

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 09:02 pm, Pranav A. Desai appears to have wr=
itten:
> Hi!
>    I have been asked to create admin accounts for a machine such that
> all of them can access that machine as root but with different
> username and password.

In many environments, this is reasonable.  Sometimes you have=20
more than one person who is must have full administrative rights,=20
unless you plan to have your one administrator be on 24/7 call.  It is=20
good policy to prohibit anyone, even administrators, from sharing=20
accounts, so you give each admin their own account.  Of course, if=20
they only need limited admin rights, then sudo is probably a better=20
solution.  Talk to your customer and find out what they are really trying=
=20
to accomplish.

The "toor" account is an example of exactly what you want, although=20
by default it is disabled (by an invalid password field).  To create a=20
similar account, use "vipw" to edit the password file.  Copy the root ent=
ry,=20
but give each person their own name and the shell of their choice (the=20
shell must be in /etc/shells). =20

Leave everything else the same as for root.  If you copy the password=20
field from the root account, then the new admin account will have the=20
same password, which should be changed by the user of the account. =20
Also, never change the shell for root.  It needs to be as it is for some=20
things to work right.  That's why the toor account exists: so you can=20
set up an admin account with your choice of shell.

The big disadvantage of this is that if you have three admin accounts,=20
an attacker has three times greater chance of cracking the root=20
password if they get their hands on your password file.  Stress to the=20
admins that it is critical that they use strong passwords on the admin=20
accounts.  A good way to create a strong password is to come up=20
with a sentence of 8 or more words known only to yourself (i.e. NOT=20
a well known phrase), and take the first letter of each word to form an=20
acronym.  Throw in some strange capitalization and a few special=20
characters for best effect.  For example, the phrase might be=20
"my mother dances with bears (in the moonlight)", which gives me a=20
password of "mMdwb(itm)".  If the phrase used is widely known, this=20
method becomes as easy to crack as single words of the same length,=20
but if you use unique phrases the resulting passwords are very good.

Sure, the admins can do bad things and cover their tracks if they put=20
enough effort into it, but they can do that if they share a single admin=20
account, also.

Hope that helps.

- Bob