Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:45:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tandberg SLR 100

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> >Is this SLR a QIC device?
>
> Yes it is, well, it is a quater inch cartridge, but it is not a QIC
> standard yet (?)
>
> >Typically, QIC type tapes are problematic. I bought an SLR-5 to test with
> >FreeBSD last year- that seems to work. The current quirk table entry should
> >match correctly for it.
>
> Any idea where/what is this table for FreeBSD 3.5?

Same table. EOT model stuff is not there- that was a 4.0 introduction.

> >The QIC issues usually are: need 1 filemark only (quirks can handle this, also
> >doing a 'mt seteotmodel'- see mt(1)- can make this explicit), usually need to
> >be in fixed block mode (at 1024 byte blocks).
>
> I have seen that discussion.
>
> >So- the answer is "I haven't tried it. Should work." Hopefully one of the
> >folks who use QICs more than I do can chime in. I'd recommend at least 4.0.
>
> Any one that can tell me it works (given this and that configuration)
> or it definitely does not work?
>
> I could go for DLT, but I like QIC like technology better :)

I'll have to admit I'm getting further and further behind the curve on what's
current. I don't work for a company that buys tape toys for me. There are a
lot of issues for tapes that are forever, but what's actually working well
this year is something I can only find out about if spend my own money. This
year, I bought a SCSI analyzer instead (Ancot Ultra3. 5k$USD! Rah! Rah!).

-matt