Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:47:17 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, token@wicx50.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REQ: help from Emacs/XEmacs/Jove/Jed/... users

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Chuck Robey stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I did that once, if you remember, Jordan, but there was some other
> > objection to pico.  Don't remember what, but if it got cleared up, I'd
> > prepare pico once again.  I still think, for newbies, it's easily the best
> > editor out there today.
>
> It's too big.  This was the original complaint, and it hasn't gotten
> any smaller since.  Zile sounds pretty good by comparison.

Two big?

# ll /usr/local/bin/pico
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  12288 Apr 24 10:35 /usr/local/bin/pico

vs.

# ll /usr/bin/ee
-r-xr-xr-x  2 bin  bin  57344 Dec 24 05:31 /usr/bin/ee

Yes, pico does make use of a 160K shared library, but it shares it with
pilot (a kind of file browser) and pine. Besides, I am not very sure,
whetever pico needs everything that is in /usr/local/lib/pico, most
probably a libpicolite could be made that contained only the functions
needed and used by pico.

	Sander