Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 20:29:32 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        cupples_s@4j.lane.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LPD problme

Doug White writes:
> On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Shawn Cupples wrote:
>
> > > I have a P90 running 2.2.5 with netatalk as a print spooler for our
> > > journalism department. I have noticed that ocasionally it stops printing
> > > like after 5 or 10 big postscrit files, lpq lists the items in the Q and
> > > error about no daemon avaiable. I restart lpd and the errors go away, but
> > > it still will not print, until I empty the q compleetley by hand. What do
> > > I do.
>
> lpd is getting angry and probably crashing.  Check the system log and see
> if either lpd or your print filter is crashing on signal 11s.  If so, you
> may have bad memory modules.  Also check `swapinfo' and make sure you
> aren't running out of memory slinging those files.

There was a bug in 2.2.5's lpd system which caused it to simply quit
several megabytes into a large job. About 30 pages into a 500 page page
job when it bit me. No core dumps, no error messages, no lpd daemon to
service the queue.

Someone who knows how to run CVS or the GNATS stuff could locate the
exact cure.

Updated sources, "cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr/lpd", and "make install"
cured my problem.