Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:37:07 -0400
From:      "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Making a package from a port

I built the python1.5.2 port with one change from the configuration that it
comes with: I changed WITH_TK? = yes to WITH_TK? = no. The port built ok,
and none of the tests failed (although some were skipped, as expected).

The next step is to copy this working python to about a dozen other
machines in the same lab. It seemed to me that the right way to do that
would be to make a package of the newly built port. So, thinking that I was
following the instructions on FreeBSD.org's webpage, I typed, "make
package" in /usr/ports/lang/python. It worked for a few seconds, and then
quit because of an error. I'm sorry, I didn't write down the message
exactly, but the jist of it was that tar couldn't find a file named
"_tk<something>.

That makes it seem to me as if it's trying to make a package of the
standard port *with* tk rather than my modified one.

I suspect that I might get it to work if I edited the PLIST file by hand,
but I'm hoping that there's a more automated (and therefore probably more
accurate) way to get what I want. Any chance?

Thanks.

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Perfesser of Computer Science
jimmy@cs.CofC.edu          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424

If there is one word to describe me,
that word would have to be "profectionist".