Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:56:06 +0200
From:      Adi <adirmj@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 swapping Idle processes :/

Hello

> I don't know what's changed, you only used to get this behaviour when
> memory got very low or vm.swap_idle_enabled was set. Possibly someones
> optimized it, or maybe it's a bug. Either way I doubt it's a significant
> problem, setting swap_idle_enabled is just a minor optimization.

# sysctl vm.swap_idle_enabled
vm.swap_idle_enabled: 0

I have never changed this setting.

After reset all processes (excluded one I forgot) 7 hours ago is still OK

 procs      memory      page                    disks     faults
   cpu
 r b w     avm    fre   flt  re  pi  po    fr  sr ad0 ad1   in   sy
cs us sy id
 0 0 1  14346M  1181M   306   0   0   0   321 511   0   0   86 1648
661  0  0 100

so only 1 processes is in SWAP idle.

Mem: 419M Active, 27G Inact, 2990M Wired, 30M Cache, 1652M Buf, 1130M Free
Swap: 32G Total, 10M Used, 32G Free

Probably patches from Steven Hartland post:
"
MFC r265418 - vm_pageout stuck pages
MFC r260567 - vm_pageout stuck pages

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=265944
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=265945
"
will help.

Dimitry , author thread (with similar problem)
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2014-January/044040.html

update FreeBSD to 10.0-STABLE and is better but not 100% ok.

my system is not yet updated. I wonder whether it makes sense to
checkout 10.0-Releng and replacement only file vm_pageout.c (form
STABLE). And then compile the kernel.
Instead of updating the entire system to STABLE.

Best Regards.