Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:01:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John DeStefano <deesto@yahoo.com>
To:        Han Hwei Woo <hhwoo@argosy.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mask IP:port with Domain Name

Han Hwei Woo <hhwoo@argosy.ca> wrote:
>I believe the ServerName directive in Apache is what you're looking for;
>it's what people's browser address field will show once they connect to your
>site.
Thanks, but as I mentioned when Chuck brought this up yesterday, my
"ServerName" directive is set properly in the format:
  ServerName www.mydomain.com
in httpd.conf.  This does not seem to make any difference at all.

>As far as your security concerns go, you can not run a website without
>exposing the IP address of the webserver machine, with or without masking.
>If a client machine didn't know your IP address, it would not know where to
>retrieve your web pages from.
Agreed (though not entirely true; you can use a web redirect service to
successfully cloak a true IP address; I've done this successfully), but that's not
really what I'm after.
I just don't want my IP address and port number combination glaring in a web
browser's address bar when a user visits my web site.  I realize that if someone
really wanted to resolve my IP, they could, but I'm also thinking of people who
don't know what an IP address is, and are asking me questions like "What
happened to the web site?  I typed in the words you told me to, and it turned
into a bunch of numbers!"