Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:02:59 -0400
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mailman problem

On 4/24/11, b. f. <bf1783@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/11, Simon L. B. Nielsen <simon@nitro.dk> wrote:
>>
>> On 18 Apr 2011, at 22:01, b. f. wrote:
>>
>> Hey,

>> I assume the following was the actual content of the page?
>>
>>> "FreeBSD.org - Document not found
>>>
>>> The file
>>>
>>> http://realcgi.sky.freebsd.org
>>>
>>> does not exist at this server.
>>>
>>> You are coming from
>>>
>>> http://lists.FreeBSD.org/.
>>>
>>> The closest match to your request is http://realcgi.sky.freebsd.org.
>>> Please contact the members of the FreeBSD Documentation Project
>>> <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org> or the server administrator
>>> www@freebsd.org."
>>
>>> Is this a known, temporary outage?
>>

>> I was changing the configuration of some of the FreeBSD web servers,
>> recently so I likely messed up the varnish configuration temporarily
>> though
>> I do sort of wonder  how I managed to mess it up to result in the above.
>>
>> Is everything working now? (At least I don't see any problems)
>>
>> Thanks for letting us know.
>
> Yes, it seems to be working now, although it wasn't just a few hours

I spoke too soon: something is still rotten (in the State of Denmark?
;) ).  It works here with Mozilla Firefox 4 on both FreeBSD 9 and
Windows XP 32, and Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 on Windows XP 32,
but fails here with (1) lynx 2-8-7, links 2.2, and dillo 2.2 on
FreeBSD 9, and (2) dillo 2.2 20110401 on Windows XP 32 (the standalone
version, obtained via
http://dillo-win32.sourceforge.net/dillo/download.php).

With (1) and (2), if I attempt to follow the link on

the request fails with the error message:

"FreeBSD.org - Document not found

The file

http://realcgi.sky.freebsd.org

does not exist at this server.

The closest match to your request is http://realcgi.sky.freebsd.org.
Please contact the members of the FreeBSD Documentation Project
<freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org> or the server administrator
www@freebsd.org."

If instead I attempt to go directly to (note the difference in case:
FreeBSD --> freebsd):

it works (and for caching browsers, it subsequently works for the
cache lifetime with lists.FreeBSD.org, presumably because the browser
maps requests for lists.FreeBSD.org to the cached result for
list.freebsd.org.  Similarly, if one attempts to first go to
lists.FreeBSD.org with one of these browsers, resulting in a failed
request, subsequent requests to list.freebsd.org will fail during the
cache lifetime.) Perhaps the server configuration or content can be
changed to take into account that not all software has the same URL
fix-ups?  A few days before my first message, the failing link worked
with (1).

Regards,
                      b.