Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 00:30:48 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Graphic Rezidew <rezidew@rezidew.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

> ok, now I am just a little bit concerned about this ( maybe I'm over
> looking something
> that's REALLY obvious) . I installed the ssh port from 2.2.5 I had set

You are, don't worry. :)

> up tcp wrappers
> and noticed that none of the rules for ssh were working so I took the

Because you have your files in the wrong place - if you read the man page
for tcpd, you'll see that the permission files live in /usr/local/etc/hosts.*

> line for it out
> of /etc/inetd.conf. The next day I noticed that a 'netstat -a' revealed
> that sshd was
> running on port 22 of my machine. I have done "grep ssh /etc/*" and come

Which isn't started from inetd.conf.  It's started from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
when the system boots; nothing rogue about it.

- Jordan