Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:55:10 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump on mounted fs

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 01:29:53AM -0400, Mark W. Krentel wrote:
> I only recently learned that this doesn't work in Linux and I wanted
> to check that it's (still?) ok in Freebsd.  Apparently, in the 2.4
> Linux kernels, the buffer and page caches make it impossible for dump
> to always get the correct version of a file, even if there are no
> writes during the dump.  It takes a umount before dump will see all of
> the changes (yuck).

After upgrading some Redhat machines to 1GB of ram it became nearly
impossible to dump any filesystem without dump going crazy trying
to read nonexistant blocks (previously it had worked fine). Upgrading
the version of the linux dump program which we use helped significantly
and now we can back up the machines with amanda again.

Though dumping a live filesystem isn't a very good idea in theory,
the only problems we've ever encountered with dumping live FreeBSD
filesystems are related to the last allocated inode changing between
the start and the end of the dump. I think Ian Dowse has fixed some
of these problems in restore.

	David.