Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 07:06:39 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        Alain.Thivillon@alma.fr, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ahc support in 2.1.5 ?

> I'm trying to upgrade from 2.1.0 to 2.1.5-RELEASE.
> My actual configuration is :
> - HP Netserver LC 5/100 with Adaptec 294x on EISA Bus (Dual Channel)
> - 2.1.0 Release Installation from NFS with the standard boot.flp
> floppy
>
> I have downloaded the whole 2.1.5 RELEASE from a mirror in France,
> rebuild my boot floppy and now, the ahc1 controller is not probed !
> Booting whicth -c, i have not seen the ahc driver that was in 2.1.0
> Boot Floppy (using ls or visual/storage)

.> So my questions are :

> - is it normal ? :-((
> - how can i make a 2.1.5 kernel for boot with ahc support from 2.1.0
> ?
> - can i install 2.1.5 with the 2.1.0 boot floppy ?
> - the HARDWARE.TXT file says that ahc support is included in Generic
> Kernel, so what's wrong : me, HARDWARE.TXT or the kernel ?

The ahc driver is not in the user config menu because it is auto
probed.  The boot floppy should detect it.  If it doesn't I would
think that there is a conflict that prevents it from being probed.
Go into to user config and disable everything that you don't need
for the install.

You say "Adaptec 294x on EISA Bus (Dual Channel)"?  Is that a dual
EISA bus system, or an Adaptec 274x dual channel adapter.  The
294x isn't on an EISA bus - it's a PCI bus adapter.

If your card is a 274x, then it's probably the uha device probe
that is conflicting.  Disable uha in user config.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org