Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:58:21 -0500
From:      "Terry Witherspoon" <t403403@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ad0 WRITE command timeout with Athlon/Microstart/Fujitsu UDMA

Hi,

I've a FreeBSD 4.2 box built in the past on a Duron 700 chipset.
I moved the drive into a rackmount system with a 1200 Mhz Athlon,
a Microstar K7T Pro2-A. The drive is a Fujitsu MPD 3137 AH-B6.
The drive boots to the point where the filesystems are mounted
and then start printing disk error messages like

  ad0 WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 resetting
  ata0.    resetting devices .. device disappeared! 1 done

I've looked at the BIOS attempting to determine what to do
to fix. Is there a guide somewhere telling me what to do
with UDMA and the various options to set? Setting UDMA and
trying various PIO modes did not get me far was the disk
would not boot. Advice or help welcome.  TW