Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:17:18 +0200
From:      Petri Riihikallio <Petri.Riihikallio@Metis.fi>
To:        Freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
Subject:   Re: No progress with Compaq Armada w/TI-1225: No PC-CARD Slots (4.2R)

>It's not saying anyting about the card itself just about the slot.
>
>Did you set
>pccard_enable="YES"
>in your /etc/rc.conf?
>
>Without that, the pccard daemon won't run.
>
>Did you do
>ps x | grep pccard
>to see if the daemon *is* running?

Thanks for support! I was getting desperate. Yet I have been playing
around with different combinations of options. I have managed to
produce some changes, but I am missing the clue.

No, I don't think this problem has anything to do with the Xircom
card. The PC-Card subsystem isn't working.

Yes, I do have pccard enabled in rc.conf but it won't start at boot.
After mounting the filesystems it says:

pccardc: /dev/card0: Device not configured
pccardc: /dev/card0: Device not configured
Enable PC-card.Doing initial network setup: hostname.

Wonder why it says card0 twice and nothing about card1?
/var/log/pccardd.debug is empty.

I found these in ps -auxww (but now pccardd):

root     6  0.0  0.0     0    0  ??  DL    7:42PM   0:00.00  (pcic,0,0)
root     7  0.0  0.0     0    0  ??  DL    7:42PM   0:00.00  (pcic,0,1)

Wonder who they are?

If I try to start pccardd by hand I get:

armada# /usr/sbin/pccardd
Jan 19 17:02:04 armada pccardd[209]: fatal error: no PC-CARD slots

Ditto for pccardc:

armada# /usr/sbin/pccardc enable 1 xe0
drv xe0, mem 0x0, size 0, io 0, irq 0x0, flags 0x0
pccardc: /dev/card1: Device not configured

The Xircom card is in slot 1. I know it because messages after
removing and inserting the card tell me so. Whose messages those are?
Not pccard[d|c]'s.

Here is the full rc.conf:

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
linux_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
moused_enable="YES"
saver="star"
keymap="finnish.cp850"
sshd_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="NO"

# -- my additions -- #
hostname="armada.metis.fi"
portmap_enable="NO"
apm_enable="YES"
apmd_enable="YES"
pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_ifconfig="inet 192.168.0.40 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"

Thank you for your time!
Petri
--