Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:59:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, jhicks@jhicks.glenatl.glenayre.com
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Jerry Hicks wrote:
> [to -chat]

Which I don't subscribe to.

> > Let's see if I got this straight, now. On one hand, you've got a bunch
> > talented software developers which is by nature an egotistical breed.
>
> I challenge that assertion.  It's an all too frequently passed about
> stereotype (and one that is very damaging to our profession).

If you're going to challange the assertion, you should present
information that contradicts it, instead of information that is either
immaterial or supports it.

I'd also be interested in arguments supporting that this believe is
"very damaging" *to the profession*. In a professional capacity, if
someone expects me to be egotistical and I am - then I'm not hurt. If
they expect that and I'm not, then they are pleasantly surprised, and
I might well come out ahead. If that prejudice extends to a social
situation, then that's certainly harming the individuals so
judged. But does this harm the profession?

> I could make a much better case for the average sales/marketing person
> or executive being a member of some "egotistical breed" but then I'd be
> guilty of stereotyping too.

I can't tell whether or not you would be stereotyping, because I don't
know whether you're developing a mental stereotype or not. I certainly
wasn't, because I know the difference between statements about average
properties of a group and a stereotype.

And, for those who missed the original, the context for that quote is
a message in support of the FreeBSD team.

	<mike