Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:37:13 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about ftp server

On 6 Apr 2000 15:21:28 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I got a wierd problem when I set up a ftp server for FreeBSD installation.
>
>I put all the source into /usr/ftp/FreeBSD/3.4-STABLE. The installation

The last time I did this, it took a little fiddling around to figure out
what path the installation was expecting.  What I ended up doing was
turning on complete debugging on the ftp server end, so I would see things
like
Apr  6 18:11:06 vinyl ftpd[94368]: command: CWD public_html
in syslog.  I then just matched the path to what the installation was
expecting.

Also, if you are doing a fresh install, consider the 4.x branch. It is
generally as stable as the 3.x branch and has a few more nice features in
it.  Some specific types of older hardware seem to cause a few people
problems, but other than that, go for 4.x.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)