Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:55:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound on AS500

John Howie writes:
 > Andrew,
 >
 > I tried, unsuccessfully, as well. Doug Rabson said that he was working on
 > the code for the next release so I didn't even bother attempting to fudge
 > the kernel for it (need to have a nice, stable, system). He said that DMA
 > and PnP were not available in the Alpha kernel and I haven't looked to
 > confirm/deny this.
 >
 > john...

The 3.x -stable kernel doesn't support *ISA* DMA, PCI DMA works just
fine ;-)

The 4.x -current kernel (what I'm using) supports ISA DMA given newbus
isa drivers which can use it, such as the PCM driver & the floppy
driver.  In fact, after Doug wrote the S/G DMA support for the
cia/pyxis chipsets, I implemented it on the other workstation chipsets
(tsunami, apecs & lca).

Cheers,

Drew