Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:35:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ashwin Kotian <ashwin@comstocksys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Floppy Boot installation problems: Plz help

Hi,

I've been trying to install the current stable version of FreeBSD v.4.4 through
the floppy boot installation method. I've used fresh new floppies & have
formatted them under Linux (and also Windows NT ). I've copied the image files
for kern.flp & mfsroot.flp onto 2 individual floppies. I've been able to boot
from both floppies in succession till the phase where we resolve the conflicts
during installation. However inspite of specifying the minimum hardware for the
kernel to probe, once I quit & save the parameters, after probing for the
common devices until it finishes probing the system console device, the machine
stays hung up.
I've tried with a no. of new floppies. Also the image files which I dowloaded
were in binary mode. Still I'm unable to proceed with the installation of
FreeBSD.
This machine currently has FreeBSD v4.3 installed & running, however I've read
that it is better to redo the entire installation from scratch rather than do
the upgrade.
Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Ashwin.