Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:13:48 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Jack Barber <jack@nyi.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD max pipe size?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Jack Barber <jack@nyi.net> wrote:

> I am trying to set up dummynet with FreeBSD 9.3 and a 10 GB Fibre over
> ethernet NIC (ix drivers).
>
> Dummynet appears to have a limit of 1.25 gigabits a second, and when I
> start setting extremely large pipe values I start running into:
>
> ipfw: bandwidth too large
>
> It doesn't like(in /etc/ipfw.rules)
>     $IPFWcmd pipe 10 config bw 8000Mbits
> but for some reason it likes
>     $IPFWcmd pipe 20 config bw 100000Mbits
> and
>     $IPFWcmd pipe 10 config bw 10000Mbits

Show your ruleset. In particular - are you using separate pipes for up
and down, and do your rules properly segregate traffic? Do you
actually only pass traffic into each pipe exactly once?  I.e. do your
rules read like

ipfw add pipe 10 from any to any in recv $ext_if
ipfw add pipe 20 from any to any out xmit $ext_if

?

- M