Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:47:05 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc functions don't allow processes to shutdown

I noticed that if rc.conf has ntpd_enable="NO", an invocation of
/etc/rc.d/ntpd stop won't actually shut down ntpd.  I checked a couple
of other processes(like net-snmp) and noted the same behavior.

I would have expected that rc would be able to invoke the stop routines
if a utility is disabled, but apparently the check for enabled/disabled
occurs much too early in the rc handling functions for the stop to fire
off.

I could investigate further, as I am sure that it's a fairly easy fix to
allow the stop functions to be invoked regardless of the enable/disable
state.

Does it make sense to anyone else that the rc functions should be able
to shutdown a process when it has been disabled in rc.conf?

Sean