Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 2006 07:44:04 -0400
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmanager keeps on reinstalling the same port

Yousef Raffah wrote:

> excuse the n00b in me but I'm trying to install a port using portmanager
> as installing it the traditional (make install clean) way failed and the
> one of the cool guys on the list here suggested to use portmanager to
> resolve the problem.
>
> I have synced my ports as of today morning and tried to launch:
> # portmanager deskutils/taskjuggler -l -f
>
> the thing is, portmanager kicks out and tries to reinstall lang/perl5.8,
> although it had reinstalled it earlier and I'm sure I have perl 5.8.8
> installed already!. I'm not sure if this is a normal behaviour of
> portmanager? But I will keep on monitoring it and see if it all goes
> well

You are telling 'portmanager' to rebuild your entire system when you use
the '-f' switch.

To install just this one port, run the program like this:

portmanager deskutils/taskjuggler -l -y

If you have 'portupgrade' installed, you might want to run 'portsclean':

portsclean -C -L

first to make sure that you have cleaned out any old work before
starting a new installation.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard@seibercom.net