Date:      26 Feb 1998 15:12:01 +0100
From:      Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Yuri Gindin <yuri@xpert.com>, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 for NFS server

John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Yuri Gindin wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, John Fieber wrote:
> > > Depends on your clients.  For 2.2.5, I can confirm that Solaris
> > > and Digital Unix clients do NOT work using nfs v3.  Digital Unix
> > > works fine if you specify v2 when mounting.  Telling FreeBSD
> > > mountd to only accept v2 does not seem to allow mounts from
> > > Solaris clients using their automounter (I'm not the admin of the
> > > Solaris boxes in question so I can't do much more investigation.)
> > >
> > Don't know about Dunix but solaris-2.6 works.
>
> ...version check...The solaris boxes I have trouble with are
> 2.5.1. The DEC boxes with trouble report "OSF1 zinc V4.0 564
> alpha".

I never investigated further because it didn't bother me, but when I
read this thread... ;-)

Sample output (client FreeBSD-2.2.5-stable, server Solaris-2.5.1):

root:129# mount bert:/claudia /mnt
nfs: can't access /claudia: Permission denied
root:130# mount -o -2 bert:/claudia /mnt
nfs: can't access /claudia: Permission denied
root:131# mount -o -3 bert:/claudia /mnt
nfs: can't access /claudia: Permission denied
root:132# mount -o resvport bert:/claudia /mnt
nfs: can't access /claudia: Permission denied
root:133# mount -o resvport,nfsv2 bert:/claudia /mnt
nfs: can't access /claudia: Permission denied

No obvious jokes here, please; I didn't choose the names. ;-)

tg